Monday, October 19, 2009

Growing Older

Last Monday was my first session at RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults - my church's process for converts), and I'm sponsoring a teenager.

This last weekend, I spent time with the Draper Cousins, those of us who are east of the Mississippi. The ages range from my 39 down to just shy of 2 years. And two more are in the oven.

Both of these events made me feel less than young. Both of these events made me feel like an elder. Both of these events reminded me of my responsibilities of being "mature".

At RCIA, I sensed my mother and my aunt, remembering those times they led me through a learning process. I suddenly realized that not only am I old enough to be the mother of my candidate, but I'm old enough to have learned enough to teach and guide her.

At our family weekend, I realized I'm like another aunt (even though I'm technically a cousin), and I "heard" our grandfather's reflections from previous family gatherings. The slight aches and pains in my body, the changes I must make in caring for my body, helped me understand my elders' stories of where they were at when I was so much younger. There is nothing like remembering your youth to remind you that you're older. That you are still entering into the unknown.

So this entry is a short reflection on how while we are no longer young, we are always learning. We are always paving a way into new experiences, for ourselves and for those who "follow" us. I'm so grateful for such noble folks having led the way in my life: Grandpa Charlie, Marnie, Grandpa Bob, Grandma Beth, Grandpa Dick, Aunt Patty, David & Lynn Angell, Bill Beck, Mom, Dad, and the "newest" addition to my beautiful family, Annie. It is their zest for life, their guidance, and their laughter that reminds me when I'm feeling my age that life is always beautiful, even as the hair thins, the lines mark the miles on the face, the muscles need extra stretches to work as well as they once did.

Thanks to those who walk ahead. And thanks to those who walk behind. It's your laughter that keeps me going, too.

1 comment:

  1. Life truly is a journey and I'm glad you are part of mine. Lets continue to grow old together! Love ya.

    ReplyDelete

Followers